Monday, April 06, 2015

In the Thames Valley...

...with Easter eggs and daffodils, roast lamb and simnel cake,  and a big family house-party, long talkative meals, long walks.

A strange, and rather touching, thing happened to me on Good Friday. I hurried off the Tube at Oxford Circus and happened to look down. At my feet lay a small silver cross. I have it before me as I write - a slim, simple cross about one inch long and half an inch across. It is in perfect condition.

It felt strange, as I was just on my way to walk the Stations of the Cross through the streets of Soho with a group from a local church. So the Cross was very much in my mind.

I didn't know what to do.  I'd love to find the owner of this cross. But thyere are about eight million people in Greater London at any one time.   Did anyone lose a small silver cross in London on Good Friday?

Stations of the Cross through the streets and lanes of Soho, kneeling on the street "We adore you O Christ and we praise you/Because by your holy Cross you have redeeedmed the world..."

Before going on to the Good Fiday liturgy, I wet to Trafalgar Square to watch the Passion Play. It was  moving: the whole story coming alive before massive crowds in the heart of London. Going from there to the 3pm liturgy all fitted...

Rail travel out of London  a bit complicated because of all sorts of engineering works at Paddington etc...but I made it to the family gathering, and to the glorious Easter Vigil at the Church of St Birinus in Dorchester-on-Thames. 


2 comments:

Malcolm said...

You won't trace the owner. It's obviously a gift from God.

Big Sis said...

It was obviously yours to find. Buy a very nice silver chain and wear it.